What is pain?
Condition-specific info & advocacy
Resources for Parents
Biofeedback, Yoga & Coping
What is Pain & How Does it Work?
- The American Chronic Pain Association provides a comprehensive list of chronic pain disorders: https://www.theacpa.org/conditions-treatments/conditions-a-z/
- This website explains the science behind acute and chronic pain pathways:
- A 5-minute video exploring how pain affects the brain https://www.tamethebeast.org/#tame-the-beast
*Kid Perspective: What Is Pain?*
- Pain Bytes is a video series explaining what pain is, how it works, and how to manage it http://www.aci.health.nsw.gov.au/chronic-pain/painbytes
*Parent Perspective: Explaining Pain*
- A brief overview of tips for communicating with your child in pain https://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/chronic-pain-children-whats-a-parent-to-do-0323164
- Caring for kids with chronic pain https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/transcripts/1499_ease-their-pain-caring-for-kids-with-chronic-pain
How does Pain become Chronic?
- Amplified Pain: https://www.chop.edu/conditions-diseases/amplified-musculoskeletal-pain-syndrome-amps
- Understanding Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/complex-regional-pain-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20371151
Parents: How to Help Your Kids in School
504s vs. IEPs
- Why and how you should encourage your child to go to school when in pain https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/thinking-about-kids/201512/getting-kids-in-pain-school-tips-the-trenches
- Missing school can actually make your child’s pain worse https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/11/magazine/why-are-more-american-teenagers-than-ever-suffering-from-severe-anxiety.html
The Coalition Against Pediatric Pain: Contains helpful information for kids, parents, & physicians, a parents-talk blog, programs, resources, and events
The Comfort Ability: Program & Support-Group for chronic pain patients and their caregivers
Online Resources from Rachael Coakley’s Book:
American Academy of Pediatrics
Kids Health from Nemours
Pain and Your Child or Teen
Pain Resource Centre
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
American Association for Marriage & Family Therapy
Association for Behavioral & Cognitive Therapists
Biofeedback Certification International Alliance
Move Forward PT
“The Mystery of Chronic Pain” A TED Talk by Dr. Eliot Krane
“Why Things Hurt.” A TED talk by Dr. Lorimer Moseley
Other Online Resources:
Pain Management Network’s Videos: explainations of pain by adolescents in chronic pain and their parents.
DailyMed: 92,000+ drug listings with FDA approved package inserts. Has reportable adverse reaction listings for the FDA’s MedWatch program, and can help identify pills.
Veruse Arthritis: Painkillers and NSAIDs: a general explanation of what the various types of painkillers are and their practical applications.
RxList Drug Interaction Checker: Massive online database that can easily check for major drug interactions.
Stress Reduction Resources
Free Audio Mindfulness Mediation Guides: helps guide through mindfulness meditation
Four Square Breathing: breathing technique to help calm the body.
Pain Doctor Dietary Advice: Outlines different diets that are easy to keep down and process.
Hydro Coach: Regular reminders to drink water.
Daily Water Tracker Reminder: set reminders with daily water goals, easy to log water you have drank.
Do Yoga With Me: Huge online database of free yoga workouts. Very beginner friendly.